Fondazione Ferragamo is based in Palazzo Spini Feroni, a Medieval palace, built by Geri Spini, a wealthy merchant and banker to Pope Boniface VIII, in 1289. Over the centuries it changed hands several times, from the Spinis to the Guasconis and then to the da Bagnano and Feroni families.
The building has seen many architectural and decorative transformations at the hands of the most important artists of the time. In 1834 he became a famous hotel , the Hotel d'Europe , which counted among its guests the Chancellor Metternich and the Duke Alexander of Russia, heir to the throne.
In 1846 the palazzo was acquired by the City of Florence and only in 1881 it came under private ownership. From 1873 to 1898 the rooms on the ground floor housed the Gabinetto Vieusseux, which welcomed major artists and intellectuals of the time.
Salvatore Ferragamo, purchased it in 1938 as the headquarters of the company and his own workshop.
The building was restored in 2000 and now proudly shows its masterpieces of seventeenth and eighteenth century Florentine art, including frescoes by Bernardino Poccetti in the chapel at the first floor.
The lower, or basement, level hosts the Salvatore Ferragamo Museum.